- Install ENERGY STAR qualified LED or CFL bulbs. They use less electricity than an incandescent light bulb and produce less heat. The reduction in heat makes them safer to handle and in the summer the air conditioning system will not have to work to cool heat generated by the lighting.
- Install ENERGY STAR qualified light fixtures.
- When possible take advantage of daylight. This may allow you to keep lights off during the day.
- Turn off unnecessary lighting.
- Use outdoor lighting that have photocells or motion sensors.
Visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency website to learn about mercury in CFL bulbs and how to properly dispose of them.